I'm on Twitter

Roosty6 @B110

Sunday, May 7, 2017

Bad Luck,

or no luck at all. That expression kept running through my head these past few days. The flax field disaster just won't end. I've given up on trying to get it through the combine without burning the machine or field down. Now trying to dispose of the crop swaths is a mammoth task. The flax rake won't work at all. The harrows are working but slowly as some of the old swaths from last fall are almost glued to the ground. It all helped influence my decision to never try growing flax again. Weeds growing like crazy in the global warming heat we have endured for a couple of days. I should be seeding, or anhydrousing, both actually. But I can't til this straw is out of the way. I did get a small start on anhydrousing a small field of canola stubble yesterday. It had some surprisingly wet spots where I was lucky not to get stuck.
Dry fertilizer delivered to the yard Friday so that part is ready to go, if I ever actually get into the field with the air seeder.
Flax straw harrowing went well but slow today. Right up until a front tire went flat on the tractor. A 3/4 mile walk across the hundred acre woods to the only available transportation (the John Deere swather). Slow but it beats walking. No spares so that tractor is down til tomorrow. I made use of the wasted afternoon by cleaning up and putting the swather and combine away in the shed til next harvest.
Little spits of rain all over the radar map tonight  that likely won't amount to much. Not that we need any.

4 comments:

  1. Ralph, if they ever recast and restart Hee-Haw, maybe you can get a singing part on that song. I'm sure EVERY farmer knows the words!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I forgot the Hee Haw connection. It was just a comment somebody made to me years ago and it often comes to mind when things are not going right.

      Delete
  2. Hang in there, buddy!
    My son and I took a drive over Margo-way yesterday and the tractors are in the fields around there, but I haven't seen one yet near Wadena. Lots of crops still out though. -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete